Wednesday, October 7, 2009

33 weeks

Javier and I met with our "birth circle" for our fourth and final meeting this evening. The birth circle is held by our 3 midwives - Anna, Alice and Laurel - and has other couples with due dates around the same 3-4 month time frame as us. We have been attending every Wednesday and although we have both enjoyed the meetings and getting to know some of the other couples, we haven't found incredibly useful. I don't think it's supposed to be all that "useful", but more an opportunity for us to create a community with these other people who are going through the same thing as us and hopefully a community which we will stay closely connected to after the birth of our babies.

A few Fridays ago we attended a one-night intensive childbirth education class, which I found amazing. It was conducted at the teacher's home and she gave the men TONS of techniques for being a great birth partner. We also watched two births which just melted my heart. I feel like every time I see a baby being born, it is just the most amazing miracle ever.
Also, since the last time I have written I ordered and received our crib, changing table and glider. Thanks to Mom and Dad for your help with these items :)! Javier was a star and had everything put together in a matter of hours after it was received. Seriously, it was amazing. We are very pleased with the crib and changing table. We made a bold, modern choice to go with a two-tone selection and now I'm having a bit of a dilemma with the glider. It's not the right color and I just don't love the comfort level. The price of the glider was definitely right, but we're considering returning the purchase and maybe splurging a bit more to get a really comfy and cozy chair that we'll really want to have around for year. Sorry Mom!! I just think it might be a better investment to have a great rocking chair around....

The weekend of September 26th, a few of our friends threw an informal and casual co-ed baby shower for us and another couple having a baby soon. It was a "Baby Celebration" and it was a lot of fun. Our friend, Mandy, was in town from Hawaii and she helped organize the celebration that was held at Lars and Melissa's home. I was touched by the gesture and we were shocked to receive the car seat from our registry :)!!! The whole thing was a bit of conundrum for me as Devon had already planned a shower for me and sent out invites so many of the attendees at the baby celebration had already received an invite for Devon's shower which is coming up THIS SATURDAY! Anyway, I was really worried that people would think I expected them to get me two gifts, but was so flattered, happy and surprised with the car seat. It's really touching to have your friends and family pitching in in all sorts of helpful ways.

My mom and her friend Vicki arrive tomorrow night. They are coming in for the shower and generally to help me prepare. I'm really looking forward to having them here and also to my 4-day weekend - woo hoo!

I would like to extend a big formal thank you to my dad and Chris for putting together a great care package full of blankets and the like of baby necessities!! And also a BIG THANKS to Mariellen for the hand-made blanket. We were very excited to receive the package!
Here are some photos taken this morning with our brand new camera - yep, we're throwing out all the stops for Bebe Muslera!




No comments:

Post a Comment