Saturday, April 25, 2009

Week 10

On March 19 Javier and I found out we're pregnant. It was a happy surprise. We've been open to it for some time, but simply weren't one of those couples who just got pregnant looking at each other. It took some time (16 months to be exact), but through the process what I learned about myself was that I could be at peace with whatever the outcome. Being a big believer in fate, I had a feeling it would happen exactly when it was supposed to at some point and that if it didn't happen, well life is a beautiful experience and one that usually has a way of playing itself out in a way that makes sense later. Perhaps the world would not be able to handle a mini Erin&Javier ;-).

After the initial shock and excitement the first thing I did was set out to learn. I was on the Internet figuring out at what time of the year this new little one could be expected, what type of development was going on inside me at that moment and of course, "what am I not supposed to do?" In fact, we found out on a Thursday, and we're headed out for a ski trip on Friday. And not some relaxing ski retreat, rather that weekend warrior type trip of which I've become all too familiar. The kind where we pack up the car on Friday afternoon (after working), drive 6+ hours to Mammoth, ski all day Saturday and all day Sunday and then hop in the car on Sunday after a full day of intense skiing to drive home. I digress, but anyway, I started to wonder if our crazy lifestyle could be dangerous. I was at the very beginning stages. Far too early to share the news, but also too early to begin panicking I figured and tried to relax and enjoy myself.

Around week 6 we took off for New York City. Mostly in the very beginning I just remember being hungry, hungry with the type of appetite of which I am not too accustomed. Big appetite? - No problem in NYC! We enjoyed our trip and I did my best to appear that I was drinking when out with our friends. The bigger concern was how was my belly already looking slightly more round? It was WAY too early. I still don't know why I have popped out so easily - the extra calories, the pregnancy bloat? Who knows, but at this rate I may become HUGE ;-).

At week 8 (April 14) we had our first appointment with Dr. Terbell. At this time we got a big stack of paperwork and bits of information that I would not too many moments later be saying, "What was it she said about this?" Also at this appointment we had an ultrasound. The first thing I said when I saw the little thing on the monitor was, "It looks like a duck!" At week 8 it's pretty difficult to distinguish because of the way the baby is developed at this point. But hence, the moniker "Patito" was born. We now mostly refer to the growing baby as Patito (little duck in Spanish).

Soon after this point I got my hands on some books! And everything I read suggested keeping a journal which is why I decided to start this blog. Typing is way easier than writing and this way I can share the fun with anyone who is interested or needs a "take 5" from work, etc.

We are currently in week 10 of the pregnancy and for about the past two weeks I have been unable to wear the majority of my jeans. Last weekend I had to buy this "belly belt" thing which allows one to wear pants without fastening them - GENIUS! Also very handy, a pair of jeans that have been too big for over 5 years that I had hung on to for some reason (this is big for me because I have serious clothing purging issue). We've started to share the news with close friends and family, which I find so much fun. Reactions are quite varied, but of course I love the screamers. Then there were those people, you know who you are, who called me out straight away when I didn't have any wine at the Latin BBQs ;-). Momita Irma claimed she had a dream we were pregnant so she was very excited to learn that her keen intuition was dead on as usual. My mom exclaimed that she had given up on being a grandparent at this point so the news came as big surprising excitement to her for sure.

Symptoms at this point:
MUST GET ENOUGH SLEEP. Not getting enough sleep is not an option.
MILKSHAKES and CHOCOLATE MILK TASTE GOOD
The couch is one of my new best friends, as well as "Millionaire Matchmaker"
MEAT MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE
Prepping veggies also makes me ill


Some helpful information for this blog:
A typical pregnancy lasts 40 weeks, but 37 to 42 weeks is accepted as being within normal medical limits.
My due date according to the professionals: November 24, 2009
My pre-pregnancy weight: 111 lbs
Current weight as of today: 114 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment