Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mary Jackson

So upon researching I had decided to call a few midwives. I got a call back on Thursday at 5pm from Mary Jackson, a little angel. The conversation started a little slow as it's a little hard to know where to begin, but once we started talking everything flowed so naturally and the more I felt so compelled by her lovely energy and spirit. A midwife has an entire different approach from that of an ob/gyn doctor. Shortly into our phone call it dawned on me that I knew her name ... My friend, Michael Chiacos, is very proud of the fact that he was born at home. And so was his brother. In fact, it was one of the first things I learned about Michael. He feels very connected to his birth experience. One of his best friends that he met when he was 5 was also born at home with the help of Mary Jackson and they have bonded for life over this. The reason I bring this up is because it's clear that this birthing experience means a great deal to Michael and I can bet that when the time comes for him to have a baby that he will want his wife to do it at home with a midwife. But I digress. Mary Jackson, it is obvious to me, takes the time to connect with her mothers and their partners. It's a very organic and spiritual approach. She spent a great deal of time talking to me about how the baby is learning from me right now. How it is important for me sleep when I feel tired as the baby will learn to sleep when he/she is tired once born. She encouraged me to spend time doing things that I love, to breathe deeply, to spend time bonding with my partner and talking to the baby. She explained the process of home birth to me which honestly sounded like heaven. We would be here with Javier, our dog, Mary Jackson, her assistants and everyone would be encouraging me and empowering me and helping the baby to have a beautiful entrance into the world. I wouldn't have to be in a room wondering what they were going to do to me next like I would at the hospital. I am interested in a water birth which I think would be more comfortable for all parties involved. For anyone reading this and thinking I'm crazy, I would encourage you to watch the film "The Business of Being Born" (you can rent this online http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/). I saw this film some time ago and it changed my prospective about child birth significantly. This is a monumental time in a woman's life and I want my experience to be positive and beautiful. In general I am the type of person who needs a lot of attention so I'm sure I would enjoy the care of a midwife!

I'm off to my first prenatal yoga class today. I'm looking forward to meeting more expectant mothers and doing some great stretching!

No comments:

Post a Comment